Frances is LEARNING!

As part of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's Learning 2.0 initiative, I created this blog to record my progress through the 23 Things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Monday, August 07, 2006

Lifelong Learner

Whew! That Lifelong Learning tutorial was a bit on the LONG side... but the technology used to present it was pretty cool. Now I'm ready to report on my experience of the "Rules of Lifelong Learning": I feel confident in my ability to put numbers 2 through 7 1/2 into action. If I have to choose one of them to be my "easiest" I'll say Rule 2: "Accept responsibility for your own learning." As the firstborn of four, I am an independent, take-charge kind of gal. I take control of most aspects of my life, especially my learning. My desire to learn and grow is motivation enough for me to use all the tools and skills I've gathered and developed.

The hardest Rule? Number one: "Begin with the end in mind." I don't know if I agree that this is necessary. In a way, I feel it contradicts Rule 7 1/2: "Play!" I'd characterize my approach to learning as random or wave-like; the amount of time, energy, and interest I invest in learning something ebbs and flows. I don't like feeling trapped by a specific end or concrete timeline. I like to be free to explore what, when, and how I want to each day.

Still, I do have some definite goals, such as obtaining a Master's degree. I will have that end in mind as I tackle each course's requirements and each week's assignments, but I won't be thinking about it constantly. I'm going to enjoy each day and the unique possibilities it offers.

1 Comments:

Blogger HeleneB said...

As a 1st born of 4 too I think I agree with you on the easiest :)

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home