Frances is LEARNING!

As part of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's Learning 2.0 initiative, I created this blog to record my progress through the 23 Things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Monday, September 18, 2006

Bringing it home

At last I forced resigned could no longer hold myself back from reading the perspectives on Library 2.0 and sharing my thoughts. ;p

John Riemer's hope for broader and richer - and, ultimately, more USEFUL - bibliographic data/services has me marvelling at the way Google and other popular information distribution websites can influence future library offerings. Riemer believes "The features of Amazon and Google of interest to students and scholars ought to be incorporated into the services libraries make available." So do I. And it will likely happen, too. But isn't it strange, learning what our patrons want from these dot com giants and adapting ourselves to provide that same thing on the home turf?

Well, I recently discovered how libraries are also putting themselves into Google. I am eager to see more libraries use the Go-go Google gadget that won Talis' Mashing Up the Library Competition recently. I would LOVE to have that information (my checked out items and their due dates, my holds and their statuses, new library catalogue additions, etc.) pop up with my Google homepage.

Come on, libraries! Step up to the plate page!

PS I just figured out how to strike out text with HTML! Neato! (Helen, you were my inspiration on that one!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home