Frances is LEARNING!

As part of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's Learning 2.0 initiative, I created this blog to record my progress through the 23 Things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Rollyoing along...

I'm a high roller! Well, not really. But this Google devotee has actually explored Rollyo's customized search engines and even created her own. Check out my personalized Catholicism search:


Powered by Rollyo


Rollyo has its pros and cons. On the one hand, you can customize your search experience with familiar websites that have proven useful to you. You prevent the hassle of sifting through hundreds of useless search results. On the other hand, when you use your own little rollyo search, you're limiting yourself; Google or Yahoo could help you stumble across just the right bit of information from an obscure website.

Another thought: I've had to delete the modifier "little" several times as I've been writing about Rollyo. This leads me to believe the customized search engines are for small needs - not the BIG ticket items. Hmmm...

Potential uses? I can see why online shoppers with particular tastes/preferences might like a search engine that explores only their favorite stores for their desired items. The results pages would allow for quick comparisons of similar items.

As for me...I've added my Catholicism Rollyo to my Foxfire search page for future use, but I'll probably stick to Google (and its subdomains - I especially like Google Local and Froogle) for most everything else.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home