Frances is LEARNING!

As part of the Public Library of Charlotte and Mecklenburg County's Learning 2.0 initiative, I created this blog to record my progress through the 23 Things.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Charlotte, NC, United States

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

#21: Podcasts

Wow! I've only dabbled in podcasts in the past year because I have yet to own an mp3 player and would prefer not to sit at my computer and listen to someone else talk (I think I need to get over this...yes, I do). Well, now I have reason to! I've found some great podcasts via Podcast.net and Podcast Alley. By browsing categories and using their search features, I came across some very appealing programs, from cooking to anatomy! The "Education" channel at Podcast Alley offered a "Brain Food Podcast" and several options for learning languages through podcasts. The "HPN Homeschool Moment" is probably a great way for homeschooling families to connect and encourage one another. But what really knocks my socks off (which is good, because I practice yoga barefoot!) are the plethora of yoga classes available for FREE via podcast!! Some are even videos so you can see the postures (Yoga Today is one I'm definitely going to try). Maybe I SHOULD move my new computer into the living room, after all!

I see great value in promoting podcasts to our library patrons. One podcast description captures the importance of understanding and sharing these Web 2.0 tools (even though it's geared toward classroom-based educators): "Teaching for the Future is an audioblog about the importance of media literacy and the emergence of technology in the classroom and how it will change education forever." Under the "Arts" Channel at Podcast.net I saw the categories "poetry" and "storytelling". How wonderful - children and adults alike can listen to poetry and stories at any time! I imagined busy moms playing podcasts of people reading children's books aloud while the little ones follow along. A literacy training tool! I wonder if our youth programs at PLCMC could help young patrons benefit from podcasts...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home